Monday, July 26, 2010


I recently finished an intensive workshop, by Steve Millard, on making maquettes for animation, video game design and action figures.  My figure was based on a character from my children's book that I did during my last year of  art school.  This was made with Super Sculpey and took about 50 hours in total.  This is the first sculpture I have ever done.  More pictures to come after I have painted it.

Update:  My monkey monk maquette has been gessoed and painted (see below).  The finish was a lot more shiny than I had intended, even after I used matte medium in my acrylic paints.  Next time I will try super matte medium...I find they just have an odd look to them when they have a shiny surface, unless it is supposed to be metal or something.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Video Game Cover

This was a project for Traditional Media where we had to produce the front and back images for a video game cover.  This was done with gouache watercolor.


These were various projects done for my inking course. Quill, brush and tech pens were the major tools used in the course, although I prefer brush. These were all done in brush. The first was a North American comic page (Batgirl) by Dave Ross and the rest were from various European artists.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Big Ol' Bag...and No Not My Mother!

This was an exercise done in my Principles of Drawing class to help utilize our knowledge of point-to-point, tone and perspective.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head

Here are some of the pages that I have been doing for my Children's Book Illustration course. The story I used was the spoken word song "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head" from the band "Gorillaz". When completed, all the pages will be bound into a book.